Monday, March 21, 2011

Fix Windows 7 Freeze While Browsing Internet

Problem :

Whenever I browse the internet, through Firefox or IE, the browser eventually freezes on Windows 7 . This happens about every 10 minutes. After the browser freezes it spreads to the rest of the system. The keyboard and mouse eventually stop responding and a hard reset becomes necessary.


Solution :

Internet Explorer 8 loads a bunch of add-ons with it. These, to some extent, also affect any browser you are using, so, for example, Firefox windows were freezing as well as IE8, but to a lesser extent.

Go into "tools" in your IE8 browser window, then "manage add-ons", then disable the add-ons.

I should have done it one at a time and tested after each one.

Instead, I disabled them all at once.

I noticed almost immediately that the internet windows were no longer freezing up.

I started to "enable" them one at a time, but as soon as I got to "Shockwave Flash 9.1.01", the windows froze again.
After hard booting, most of the add-ons disappeared from the list.

Right now I only have some Microsoft and Google add-ons enabled, but IE8 has been behaving itself and is actually pretty zippy.

The windows seem a little clearer than Firefox. Don't know what I have messed up by getting rid of all the add-ons, but at this point I don't care.

When I run into something that does not work, I will download add-ons one at a time. Hope this helps someone.

0 comments: